Simply put, when it comes to orthodontics treatments, age is just a number. Orthodontic devices like braces and aligners are no longer necessary for children. Nowadays, more and more adults are resorting to orthodontic appliances for better aesthetics and mouth and jaw function.
For instance, a recent study shows that among the 4 million Americans using braces, 25 percent are adults. Such a magnanimous number reveals the pertinence and popularity of orthodontics for adults in the United States. If you are contemplating opting for orthodontic devices, getting in touch with the Navarro Dental Center of Texas might help.
Orthodontic Treatments For Adults: A Brief Overview
In the last ten to twenty, more and more adults are resorting to braces, aligners, and other orthodontic appliances. Maybe it is because some people’s parents could not afford dental devices for them when they were young, and now they have the money to do it for themselves, or probably some develop teeth spacing issues later in older age. Nonetheless, whatever the specifics might be, adults are taking affirmative steps to achieve a hale and healthy smile.
Although the pre-teen and teen years are the ideal time to correct teeth alignment, adult braces can be very effective. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 18. However, before delving into misaligned teeth braces for adults, it is essential to be aware of some disclaimers.
- Orthodontic treatment for an adult may take longer than it does for a child or teen. Even though the length of time it takes to straighten teeth differs from case to case basis, the treatment will likely take two years.
- As an adult, your bones have stopped growing. Thus, you can’t have some structural changes sans surgery.
- Before opting for orthodontic appliances, adults should consult their general dentist and periodontist to ensure that the treatment is not complicated by loss resulting from gum diseases.
Now that you know the disclaimers, let us glance at some of the most common orthodontic devices that adults can take advantage of.
Three Most Common Orthodontic Devices For Adults
- Aligners – They are incredibly popular, especially among adults, due to their inconspicuous appearance. Clear aligners like Invisalign and ClearCorrect help mend mild to moderate orthodontic issues. Aligners co-opt customized clear aligner trays to straighten a person’s dental problems. The person using opting for an aligner has to wear a tray set for one to two weeks, then move on to another tray set.
- Braces – Braces help correct a bad bite (underbite or overbite). They are fairly common among adults and help straighten and change a person’s teeth into the desired position. Nowadays, many traditional braces are available, such as metal, ceramic, lingual braces, and more.
- Retainers – They are customizable dental appliances that secure teeth into their appropriate positions. Retainers are mandatory elements for people who have had braces or aligners. An orthodontist Corsicana, can advise you on the types of aligners and ways to use them to ensure that your teeth are in their optimal state post-orthodontic treatment.
Top Three Reasons Why It Is Never Too Late To Get Braces
Health is Wealth at Every Age
One of the significant reasons why it is never too late to get malocclusion braces is that our life expectancy has increased by leaps and bounds. Sixty is the new forty, and it is imperative that we look and feel our best for as long as possible. Misaligned, crooked, or crowded teeth make it difficult to brush and floss, leading to oral health problems. Moreover, as a person gets older, their natural teeth experience depreciation. Thus, opting for braces or aligners to straighten and fix bite problems can help prevent years of dental work and suffering.
Confidence is the Key at Every Age
Poor oral and dental health can make people more self-conscious as they age. If you want to excel in your career even at the ripe age of 50 or 60, and maintain close, intimate, and amicable relationships with friends, family, and colleagues, self-assurance is imperative. If your smile makes you feel embarrassed and leads to social anxiety, opting for orthodontic assistance from the right experts, such as the Navarro Dental Center of Texas, is advisable.
Multiple Options and Comparative Affordability
One of the major reasons age is no bar to getting braces is the plethora of options available. Besides traditional metal braces, there are braces resembling teeth, ceramic braces, and very popular clear aligners. Likewise, when it comes to affordability, the situation regarding orthodontic treatments has gotten better. For instance, orthodontic processes with restorative benefits are now a part of some dental insurance, as well. So, more and more people can reap the benefits of braces and improve their quality of life.
Wrapping It Up
So, a crisp answer to the question if it gets late to opt for braces is a clear no. Of course, there are reservations and considerations for adult braces. An orthodontist, in Corsicana, can help you through the process.